Thursday, August 4, 2011

Thoughts of Death and Life

People usually say, "It's a matter of life and death." So why do I list death first? I've been thinking a lot about death. Not morbidly. Just pondering death and the life after.

During communion last Sunday I observed two young men in my congregation who suffer physically in this life. It touches me to see the sweetness of their love for Christ. It encourages me (and I hope them) to know that there is a life after this brief mortal pilgrimage where they, and all Christians who suffer in this world, will be whole in body even as Christ is making them whole in their spirits.

What a great hope we have! When we shed this "mortal coil" there is new and better life awaiting us.

I wonder what we will look like. How will we relate to each other? How will we all feel that Christ is physically near us at all times? What will the new heavens and earth look like? What work will we do? So many questions that will only be answered on that great day. But one thing I know is all suffering will be done away with.

"For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth,and the former things shall not be remembered or come into mind." Isaiah 65:17

No comments:

Post a Comment